Just count how many times you remember your passwords when you need them, We have a common problem to FORGET things.
This is the main reason to use the same password again and again on different websites which is very dangerous for cyber security.
If a hacker manages to access one of your accounts then it is much easier to gain access all of your account so avoid using the same password.
So today We are going to talk about How you can stay safe online especially How you can choose, create and manage your Password.
We all know that Password is more valuable than money nowadays (cause money is also kept behind a password!)
First of all let me answer Why Choose a Strong Password ?
The answer is Obvious – For Security, but there is more.
Hackers can easily crack your password if you choose a common or little less common password in a just few minutes.
Daily new accounts is being compromised and their passwords are available online for FREE so that any other hacker can use it.
In such kind of situation you should use a very strong PASSWORD for your financial and social account atleast.
Here is the list of a common password which Cyber Security Expert Don’t recommend to use.
- A password that is same as username.
- Personal information as password ( name, city, birthday, family member names)
If you keep password like this you are the best animal for easy hunt.
So What is the solution, How to choose a strong and unique password and the most important question How to organize them.
Wait wait we have covered all your query just follow along….
How to Choose a Unique and Strong Password
- Choose Passphrase not Password
- Make sure your personal information is not used in your password.
- Avoid the sequential number, letters or special character
- Don’t reuse your password on different sites.
Passphrase is created from a long sentence including special characters,lowercase and uppercase letters.
Let’s say I want to create a password for my facebook account.
I use Password like – KFR@usIN!0202&PM
But if I choose Passphrase then it would be easy to remember, For Ex – !4mCr34!ing4newFB@cc0un! (I am creating a new Facebook Account)
Similarly you can vary with letters and numbers and it will easy to remember too.
This may sounds ridiculous to follow but there is always a solution – Password manager
How to organize your password
A password manager will help you in Creating password, organizing it and it will also give relief to to you memory.
There are many passwords manager out there but which is good and why this is the main question.
First of all let’s talk about Browser Password Manager offered by almost every popular browser like Chrome, Firefox etc.
Saving password In Chrome Browser (which is used by 90% user) is not a good idea because anyone can export all your password by just knowing your PC password.
So I don’t recommend you to use any type of browser password manager and also don’t use Offline Password manager like PasswordDragon
No I am not telling that PasswordDragon is not easy to use or it is not safe to save password or something but the major issue with such kind of password manager is you can’t use those saved passwords anywhere like on your Phone, Tablet or just on your Friend’s PC.
I am saying that you should have access to your password anytime and anywhere.
So the solution is Use a Cloud Based Password manager which supports every platform (Windows,Android, iOS ,MacOS etc.)
You can use Dashlane or Lastpass, Dashlane is paid but Lastpass has a free tier option for basic password management which is enough for a basic user.
Just go to Lastpass website and create your account today which is your first steps towards the online safety.
Some of the main feature of password manager like Dashlane and Lastpass which I like are –
- Apps and extensions are available for every Platform (Windows,Android etc.)
- You can generate a strong and unique password by its password generator tool.
- You can create different folders to organize your password like Email,Social,Financial etc.
- Not only password you can save card details,encrypted secure notes etc. (Honestly I don’t use these features)
- You have to remember only one MASTER PASSWORD and you are good to go.
So here are some tips to stay safe online from hackers.
Note :- Here I am not talking about Privacy that is another topic for another day but today I am only talking about How you can stay safe from being hacked.
- Don’t use same password on every account.
- Use always strong and unique password (atleast 12 character long if possible)
- Use a password manager.
- Don’t share your personal information on social media or easily accessible place, Hackers can gathers these information to guess your password.
- Don’t share your password on Email.
- Never click on suspicious link or open such website.
- Be aware of downloading malicious file, sometime files name may be genuine but focus on file extension. for ex- you are downloading mp3 file – myCoolMusic.mp3.vb so always look what you are downloading.
- Change your MASTER PASSWORD quarterly
The list is so long that a whole website builds upon How to stay safe online but you got an idea.
Tools/Website to use –
Now, Here’s a quick video so that you can understand it more clearly:
If you have any problem or doubts ask me in comment section.